Exciting chocolate banana cake recipe! One of the famous cake recipes in Turkey: “Köstebek Pasta” (Mole Cake)
In classic form mole cake is a dome-shaped with cream filling. Or a time it became a small individual size cake and even commercially sold as cake mix. I am going to show you the easiest version. It is topped with chocolate cake crumbs, has whipped cream and homemade pudding in the middle, along with banana slices. To moisten the cake, I drizzled raspberry jam-flavored milk. I served it to my sister and her family when they came for dinner, and it was a hit.
Ingredients For Easy Mole Cake (Köstebek Pasta)
For the chocolate cake:
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups flour (optionally replace 2 tbsp corn starch for the flour)
- 3 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 pack 2+1/2 tsp baking powder
- vanilla powder or extract
- a big 40X27 cm rectangular pan oil to grease the pan
For the vanilla pudding:
- 1 egg 1/2 cup +1 tbsp sugar
- 2 heaped tbsp of each corn starch and flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- about 200ml whipped cream (we use cream chantilly powder, mixing it with about 3/4 cup cold milk) but whipped cream or heavy cream whipped with powdered sugar would work even better…
For the filling:
- 3-4 bananas, a half cup or more cherries (optional) about 1 cup milk mixed with raspberry jam (optional) to moisten the cake
First Make The Chocolate Cake:
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixer, whisk the eggs at room temperature with sugar until it is light and fluffy for about 4-5 minutes
- Meanwhile sift dry ingredients, flour, starch if using, baking powder and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Drizzle vegetable oil over the sugar eggs misture while mixing. Alternately add the milk dry ingredients mixture at three times and mix until it is well corporated.
- Grase 27X40cm big rectangular baking pan and pour the chocolate cake. Bake at preheated 170C degree oven for about 20 minutes or until top is set, springy when touch and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Prepare the pudding while it is cooling down.
Making Homemade Pudding:
- In a medium-size pan add egg and sugar and mix well. Add flour, corn starch and milk, whicks until mixed well.
- Cook on medium heat whisking continuesly until it thickends and bubly. Add the vanilla, turn of the heat and let it cool down whicking from time to time to prevent setting.
Assembling The Mole Cake:
- First carve the cake about half way with a help or a spoon or serrated knife collecting the cake pieces in a bowl.
- Moisten the cake with an milk or milk and rasberry marmalade mixture. Place slices bananas and cherries (optional) over the cake and pour the cooled pudding and spred to cover the fruits.
- Prepare a whipped cream: We use cream shantili poswer mixing it with cold milk to make the cream but you can whisk heavy cream with powdered sugar or how you make it in your country for other cake recipes.
- Process the leftover cake crumbs in a food proccessor or by hand and cover the top of the cake with it.
- After it is cooled down in the fridge for about 2 hours at least decorate as you wish and serve.