I have an easy chocolate cake recipe for you. It does not require fancy techniques, has basic ingredients, and comes out delicious in about an hour. I also made a simple savory pogaca together to enjoy our coffee time. You can see the recipe from the link.
I used a tart cake pan for it that has a well in the center. Makes it easy to assemble and with the cherry sauce together looks pretty too. But you can of course use regular medium size deep-dish pan and built up the layers on top
Ingredients For Simple Turkish Chocolate Cake With Cherry Sauce
- For the cake batter:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp flour
- 2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
- 1+1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the pudding:
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 heaped tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- For The Cherry Sauce:
- 2/3 cup frozen or fresh pitted cherries
- less than 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup if needed water
- about 1/2 cup or little more cold milk to moist the cake
- chocolate shaves to garnish (optional)
Prepare The Simple Chocolate Cake Batter:
- Whisk the eggs and sugar for about 4 minutes until foamy.
- Meanwhile, sift the dry ingredients and set aside.
- To the egg-sugar mixture add olive oil, milk, and dry ingredients. Mix on low until corporate.
- Butter the tart cake or other deep dish pan and coat with flour. Pour the cake batter and bake in a preheated 170C degree oven for about 25 minutes until it sets and the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Making Simple Pudding
- To a medium-size pan, add sugar, flour, cornstarch, and milk stir until everything is mixed. Turn on the heat and cook on low heat whisking frequently until it thickens and bubbles.
- Add vanilla and butter, stir and turn off the heat. Let it cool down stirring from time to time to prevent forming a skin.
In a small pan add frozen or fresh pitted cherries, sugar, water, and corn or wheat starch and whisk until smooth. Cook on low heat until it thickens and is shiny. You can drizzle more water if it becomes too thick to have a jelly-like consistency.
Assembling The Cake
After the chocolate cake is cooled turn it over and takes out from the pan, place it on a serving plate. Drizzle milk over the cake to moisten and pour the pudding into the well. Finally, prepare the cherry sauce and cover the top of the cake with it.
You can garnish the top with chocolate shaves. It is better to let the cake rest in the refrigerator at least for 4 hours or overnight. But if you are impatient like me 🙂 it will delicious right away too.
Make sure to watch the pogaca I made together: Turkish Quick Bread Pogaca Enjoy! Afiyet Olsun!