Turkish Quick Bread Pogaca
Scone-like savory, Turkish quick bread pogaca is my favorite when I need something quick, it has no yeast and the cheese inside the dough doubles the taste and gives more volume.
Ingredients For Turkish Scone Quick Bread Pogaca
- About 90gr. butter at room temperature
- 5 tbsp 40gr. olive or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs (keep one yolk for egg wash)
- 2 tbsp (about 70gr. yogurt)
- about 120 gr. white, ricotta, or similar cheeses (I used cabaaltı, lor cheese)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- about 1+1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp each baking soda and baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- nigella seeds (optional)
How To Make Turkish Pogaca
- In a mixing bowl add butter at room temperature, olive oil, yogurt, 1 whole egg, and one egg white, vinegar, and mix by hand or with a paddle attachment until ingredients are somewhat corporates.
- Add cornflour, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Corn and whole wheat flours are optional, it gives a deeper taste. If you don’t have or just don’t want to use you can use all-purpose flour the same amount too.
- Finally, add the white cheese and begin to mix. Add more flour until you have unsticky but soft dough. Get a bigger than a walnut-size piece from the dough and first shape it into a bowl. Flatten a bit with the help of your palm and fold it gently. Don’t seal it from the sides. Instead, press from the middle part of the top with your finger. (Watch my video:)
- Continue to shape until you finish the dough. Lightly whisk egg yolk with a little bit of vegetable oil and brush the tops. Sprinkle nigella seeds if used and bake in preheated 170C degree oven for about 30 minutes until it has risen and have a golden color.
- Here is a good example of a Turkish tea time menu: 20 minutes Turkish Bulgur Salad Kısır
- You might be interested in Turkish Katmer Pogaca / White Cheese Filled Savory Pastry