Turkish Traditional White Bean Stew
Turkish white beans with stew is a traditional, well-known dish in Turkey. Widely served in Turkish restaurants and houses. With small hints, it is easy to make and so delicious especially with fluffy pilaf. It is one of the most cooked and loved dishes in Turkey for both rich and poor.
Ingredients For White Beans With Tomato Sauce And Meat:
- 2 cups white beans (soaked overnight) These are white kidney beans but we have other types too. In Turkish, we call them “horoz fasulye”, “Dermason”, “Şeker Fasulye”
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil 300-400gr. cubed beef (optional, you can make it vegan too)
- 1 big onion
- a tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp pepper paste (optional, if you don’t have just use tomato paste)
- 1/2 tsp flour salt, cayenne pepper
- hot water
How To Make Turkish Navy Beans Dish
- Soak the white navy or similar beans overnight. I used white kidney beans as we call “Horoz Fasülye” in Turkish but we have different types to and “şeker fasulye” and “dermason” are one of the well-known ones. Wash and drain and put it in a regular pan and add plentiful water and begin to cook.
- Check the beans after boiling and discard the foamy part with a colander and cook for about 10-15 minutes. It will help to get rid of the natural gas inside the beans and we will continue to cook after it meets with meat 🙂
- In a pressure cooker or regular big pan add olive oil and about 300gr. cubed beef and sautee until brown and the juice is clear.
- Add chopped onions, stir for about 3 minutes and add the tomato and pepper paste (if using) and the precooked beans. Continue to sautee for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt, cayenne pepper, and a tsp flour and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add hot water covering about 2 cm top of the beans and cook closing the pressure cooker for at least about 20 minutes or more until beans and meat are soft.