Turkish Delight Filled Cookies
Melt in your mouth cookies filled with soft Turkish delights. These cookies are one of our favorites at home
This time I am making it for you with three different flavors: Rose, orange, and pistachio flavored and they are naturally colored too! It will give you an idea of how you can flavor your dough. But you can just stick with a simple dough and fill it with rose-flavored or plain Turkish delights too.
Ingredients for Turkish delight cookies:
For the cookie base:
- 130gr. butter at room temperature
- 1 tbsp less than a cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2+1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup corn starch (optional, just add an equal amount of flour)
- 3-4 cups flour (we will add gradually, first to have a very soft dough. After dividing into three pieces we flavor and add more if needed)
For the filling:
(I used 3 different lokum types (Turkish delights) but you can choose one of them, or make it with plain ones but make sure they are fresh and soft as possible)
- Rose flavored Turkish delights: http://bit.ly/roselokum
- Orange flavored Turkish delights: http://bit.ly/orangelokum
- Pistachio flavored Turkish delights: http://bit.ly/pomegranadelokum
For flavoring the dough:
- Rose: 1 tsp dried or frozen rose petals, 1 tsp rose water, 1 tsp beetroot powder (optional)
- Orange: 1 tsp orange rind (I used a mix of orange rind and sugar that I made in the season to keep it a year-long)
- Pistachio: 2 tbsp pistachio powder
How To Make Turkish Delights Flavored Cookies:
- First, make the cookie batter: In a mixing bowl whisk butter at room temperature and powdered sugar with the paddle attachment for about 2 minutes until light and creamy.
- Add vegetable oil and egg gradually and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients: Add 3 cups flour, 1/2 cup corn starch, baking powder and begin to mix to have a dough. Don’t add flour too much, you should have a still very soft dough and divide it in three-piece to flavor.
- You can use a scale to divide into even pieces. My every dough was 230gr. Now we can begin to flavor our doughs. Get one of them and mix it with rose petals, rose water, and beetroot powder if you are using. Knead to corporate everything. You can add a little more oil or flour to have a playable but soft dough that holds its shape.
- For the orange-flavored cookie dough, I just added orange rind and sugar mix, and to give a bit more color add turmeric powder and knead to have a nice dough.
- Finally, for the pistachio flavored cookie dough add ground pistachios, some olive oil or flour and knead to have the dough. Now we have three different flavored and colored cookie dough and we are ready to shape it!
How To Fill And Shape Turkish Delight Filled Cookies:
To shape your dough first get one of it and cut into 8 pieces. With a palm of you hand roll out each dough and place Turkish delight piece that will match with the flavor of the dough, on the center and close it on top and roll it again to seal. I used a wooden cookie mold to shape my cookies but it will be still good if you don’t use it 🙂
Bake your cookies in 170C degree preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until it has light colors and set