Whole roasted chicken has always been a feast on the table. You can shorten the baking time of the whole chicken with an easy cutting method I’ll give. Along with vegetables on the side, it is a perfect quick main dish for busy days. It’s a perfect alternative for rotisserie chicken as well.
Ingredients For Easy Roasted Chicken with vegetables:
- a whole chicken
- 1 tbsp each tomato and red pepper paste, yogurt
- 1 tsp each paprika, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- For the veggies:
- 4-5 potatoes,
- 1 onion,
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 tsp paprika, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt, and olive oil
- optionally you can cover the top of the chicken with baking paper for 30 minutes.
Check these classic Turkish chicken recipes:
Turkish Delight Chicken
Chicken Shish Kebab Easy Homemade Recipe
Turkish Style Chicken Yakhni With Vegetables
Chicken & Cauliflower Dish & Baked Potato
Cutting The Whole Chicken:
- Press the chicken from it’s back to open a little bit before cutting. You will hear a cracking sound when you do 🙂
- Turn over the chicken and cut the breast part into two leaving the bone in one side.
- Preferably with a butcher’s knife cut the bonealong the way down to other side.
Rubbing The Chicken With Sauce
- In a small bowl add red pepper and tomato pastes, yogurt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, salt, 3-4 cloves of garlic (pureed) and mix everything well.
- Rub all parts of the chicken with the sauce. If you have time, you can marinade overnight or 3-4 hours in the fridge.
Preparing The Vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 200C degree. Peel, wash and cut the potatoes in wedges. Scrape or peel the carrots and cut in wedges similarly to potatoes. Place eveything in a big bowl or place them in a side of the tray.
- Add the seasonings and salt, drizzle some olive oil and mix well.
- Arrange the chicken in the middle of the tray and veggies to the sides. Cover lightly the top of the chicken with baking paper to crrate some steam. Bake the chicken for about 30-40 minutes.
- Take out the paper and continue to roast until the chicken skin turns golden color and crisp and chicken and veggies are soft when knife inserted.
What You Can Serve With Easy Roasted Chicken?
In Turkish cuisine, we usually serve chicken dishes simply with rice side dish either plan or rice pilav with orzo pasta which is my favorite :). But this time I served bulgur wheat pilav. It is a healthier choice, especially for diabetics. We had Tarhana soup from the previous day and a mixed winter salad.
Check my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwVIj-OqEjXNqKpItChRrMQ