Turkish Style Chicken Yakhni With Vegetables is a quick, and healthy chicken dish ” It is one-pot, very easy to make. You can use any part of the chicken preferably with bones and experiment with other vegetables too.
Ingredients For Turkish Style Chicken Yahni (Yahkni) (For about 4 servings)
- 6 chicken drumstick or thigh (I used whole chicken except the breast part)
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 medium-size onions
- 2 carrots
- 3-4 potatoes
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup or more green peas (fresh or frozen) If you are going to use from can add near the last cooking time
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper paste (optional)
- sweet or hot paprika, salt
- enough chicken broth or water to cover the chicken yakhni dish (I cooked the breast bone part of the chicken separately and used half of the broth for the dish and kept the leftover to make side dish pilaf or soup. )
You might be interested in these recipes too:
Chicken & Rice With Chickpeas – Turkish Street Food
Spicy Fried Chicken With 2 Side Dishes
Chicken Kebabs In Guvech With Eggplant & Mushrooms
Turkish Spicy Fried Chicken With 2 Side Dishes
How to Make Chicken Yakhni Turkish Style
- In a wide deep pan fry the chicken pieces with skin in about 4 tbsp vegetable oil until it changes its color.
- Meanwhile prepare the veggies: Peel carrots, onions, garlic, and potatoes. Wash them along with peppers. Since we will cook them together with the chicken we need to cut them in big size cubes.
- After chicken pieces fried nicely, add the onions and saute for a couple of minutes
- Add peppers, carrots, and potatoes, and tomato and red pepper paste. You can use only tomato paste or fresh tomatoes preferably if it is in the season too. Give it a nice stir and saute everything on low medium heat for a couple of more minutes.
- Add chopped garlic, salt, hot or sweet paprika (if you have), and pour the green peas. For the cooking water, I boiled the breast part of the chicken with bones and used some of it and add more hot water to cover the dish.
- Cook chicken yakhni until everything is soft for about 30 minutes. turn off the heat and let it rest for 15 minutes and enjoy!
Adding chicken stock will give extra taste to the dish
Here are other chicken recipes from my channel:
Chicken Kirma Kebab “Tavuk Kirma Kebab” / 18th Century Ottoman Dish https://youtu.be/LMpKGCBBHM8
Turkish Chicken Shish Kebab In The Oven “Tavuk Şiş” https://youtu.be/5HYpD8sBZbQ
Traditional Turkish “Banduma” Rolled Phyllo With Chicken & Walnuts https://youtu.be/5sm4ytWb6Lc
Turkish Meal Prep! Chicken With Veggies And Bechamel “Buğu Kebabı” + Soup & Bulgur Pilaf https://youtu.be/2WwvbyCrDEc
Chicken Kebabs In Guvech / Casseroles With Eggplant & Mushrooms https://youtu.be/toiclu_KKIw