Turkish Chicken kebabs with eggplant & mushrooms in guvech / mini casseroles. Guvech is an earthenware crockpot we widely use in Turkish cuisine to make kebabs and stews.
If you don’t have guvech cups, you can make it in big casseroles, or serve individually as I did in smaller pots. After partially cooking everything we will top it with cheese and bake it in the oven to double the taste. I should warn you it has an irresistible combination of tastes so you will want more 🙂
Thank you for supporting me with a cup of coffee or buy me a ticket etc: https://www.patreon.com/turkishfoodtravel
SUBSCRIBE ► ►► https://bit.ly/3iirrRC
INSTAGRAM ► ►► http://instagram.com/turkishfoodtravel
FACEBOOK: ► ►► https://fb.me/turkishfoodtravel
Ingredients For Chicken Kebab With Eggplant & Mushrooms
- 4-5 medium-size eggplants
- For soaking: 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt
- For frying: about 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium-size onion
- 1 big chicken breast
- 2-3 sweet green peppers (use 1 bell pepper if you can’t find)
- 1/2 sweet red pepper
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium-size ripened tomatoes or 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp each salt, red pepper flake or paprika, oregano black pepper to taste
- about 1-1+1/2 cups shredded kashar or mozzarella cheese
- To bake you can either use a small earthenware crockpot to serve individually or use a large wide casserole and bake all at once.
I recommend baking only the amount you are going to serve and keep the rest in the refrigerator and bake fresh the next day.
Here is a similar recipe you might like: Turkish Meal Prep! Chicken With Veggies And Bechamel “Buğu Kebabı” + Soup & Bulgur Pilaf https://youtu.be/2WwvbyCrDEc
How To Make Chicken Kebab In Guvec / Casserole With Eggplants & Mushrooms
First Prepare The Eggplants:
- Wash the eggplants, cut the stems out. Peel them partially in strips and cut them into about 2cm cubes. In a big bowl add about 4 cups of water and salt. Add eggplants.
- Let them wait at least 20 minutes or more. Squeeze out the excess juice and put it in a strainer. Pat dry them with a kitchen towel. If you are going to do it in the afternoon you can do this step in the morning and let them dry.
- In a wide big pan add vegetable oil about 3cm high, heat. Fry the eggplants in portions not overcrowding the pan until they are soft and have a partially golden color. Transfer it to a big plate over a kitchen towel to get rid of the excess oil if it has.
Soaking the eggplants in salty water helps not to soak much oil when frying and to get out the bitter taste of the eggplants.
Prepare The Chicken Base:
- In a big wide pan add 4-5 tbsp olive oil and heat. Dice the onion and begin to saute.
- Cut the chicken breast into big cubes and add it to onions after it begins to have a golden color. Stir and saute to cook the chicken pieces until it cooks all the way on all sides.
- Dice the green and red peppers to a similar size to the chicken pieces. I used red peppers from the freezer. Add chopped garlic, sliced mushrooms, and after 4 minutes grated tomatoes or tomato paste. Cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the seasonings, salt, the fried eggplants, and stir.
The best side dish to serve the Chicken Kebabs
Turkish Pilav With Orzo | Best Turkish Side Dish
Assembling The Guvech Kebab
- Preheat the oven to 200C degree. Fill individual earthenware guvech cups with the chicken base mixture. Alternatively you can use big casserole and portion it to serve after it is baked.
- Top the dish with shredded kashar or mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese is golden color and the dish is bubbling. Serve hot and enjoy! Make sure to share your photos with me from Instagram @turkishfoodtravel