One of the best dishes you can make with spinach: “Spinach Mushroom Casserole With Potato Purée” It has a potato base and, bechamel layer, topped with cheese.
Together with the béchamel sauce, the combinations go very well and make a delicious dish, Truly worth trying. If you work with a plan, you can prepare the three layers all at once on the stove, and it will take less time.
Ingredients For Spinach Mushroom Potato Casserole:
- For the Potato Purée:
- 5 big potatoes
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup or less whole milk
- salt to taste
- For the Spinach Mushroom Layer:
- 1 big onion
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 500gr spinach
- 300gr mushrooms
- salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
- For the Béchamel Sauce:
- 3 tbsp olive oil or 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1+1/2 cup milk
- dash of nutmeg
- salt to taste
- freshly grated kaṣar or mozzarella cheese for topping
Step 1: Cook The Potato Purée
- Peel, wash, and cut the potatoes into cubes. Boil them in a pan with enough water to just about cover them with a bit of salt
- After about 10 minutes, check to see if the potatoes are cooked using a knife or fork When the potatoes are soft, drain the water and return the potatoes to the same pan. While the potatoes are still steaming hot, puree the potatoes using a potato masher.
- Finally add two tablespoons of butter, salt, and one cup of warm milk to the potatoes and mash until a uniform consistency is achieved
Also, try these delicious recipes:
Turkish Borek From Scratch
Ottoman Turkish Recipe “Keshkul” – Almond Pudding
Turkish Stuffed Eggplant “Karniyarik”
Step 2: Prepare The Spinach and Mushrooms Layer
- Dice big onion into small cubes
- Wash and clean the mushroom and cut into slices. Wash and clean the spinach, take the big stems out and chop them roughly
- Sauté the onion with olive oil in a wide pan until it turns lightly brown
- Once the onions are lightly browned, add the sliced mushrooms, keeping the stove on medium-high heat. It is important not to lower the heat, otherwise, mushrooms can release too much juice. Stir from time to time to ensure even cooking.
- When the mushrooms are cooked through and there is not much juice in the pan, add the chopped spinach. Season with some salt, fresh ground black pepper, and/or red pepper flakes and stir carefully from time to time until the spinach wilts
Step 3: Cook The Béchamel Sauce
- To a saucepan on low medium heat, add the olive oil/butter and the flour and stir continuously until you get a nice smell (indicating the flour is not raw anymore) and the color changes from white to slightly golden
- Gradually add the milk to the pan, stirring continuously using a whisk until it thickens. Season with salt and nutmeg
- Turn off the heat after it is thickened and bubbling. If it thickens too much you can add a bit more milk to play with the consistency.
Bringing this Spinach Mushroom Potato Casserole Together
Preheat the oven to 180 °C
Add the béchamel sauce to the spinach and mushroom mixture and check the seasoning (salt, black pepper) and adjust to taste.
Put the mashed potato in an oven-safe dish, pressing it down gently to make the first layer. On top of the mashed potato layer, put the spinach, mushroom, and béchamel sauce layer and spread evenly
Sprinkle a layer of freshly grated kaṣar or mozzarella cheese
Put the dish into the oven and just watch how beautifully it bakes
When you have a golden crust on your dish, turn off the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes
Serve and enjoy! Afiyet Olsun!
I hope you give this delicious winter dish a try. Please let me know how it turns out
Special thanks to Anwar Kasi to contribute writing the recipe
Festive Turkish Dinner (With Planning Guide): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY2-aqETeX0
Easy Turkish Manti In 20 Minutes! https://youtu.be/6GmwUPVAFGo
For more Turkish Cuisine recipes don’t forget to subscribe and press the notification button: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwVIj-OqEjXNqKpItChRrMQ?sub_confirmation=1
Follow me on social media and website