Learn how to make vegan, stuffed kale rolls traditional Turkish way. Rolled Kale “Karalahana Sarması” is famous in Trabzon, Turkey.
With local Zeynep Nadir, we made traditional Turkish dishes from the Blacksea region including rolled Kale “Kuymak” with oozing cheesy texture; “kaygana” simple egg dishes are other traditional breakfast dishes we made in old Konak House-cafe that widely served in the region.
Ingredients For Stuffed Kale, Black Cabbage (Collard green) sarma (rolls)
- 2 medium-size onions
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- about 1 tsp each salt, black pepper, hot red pepper
- 1-2 tsp dried mint
- About 1 cup or little more (until it reaches the halfway to rice) water
- enough kale, black cabbage green leaves (cooked for about 5 minutes until soft enough to roll)
- For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 onion (sliced)
- enough water that doesn’t cover the top. (about 1 cm less)
- Dice onion and saute in olive oil with a tsp of salt for about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and continue to sauté for couple of minutes.
- Wash and drain long grain rice. Add to the mixture along with black pepper, red pepper flakes, dried mint and pinch of sugar. Add about 1 cup or little more (until it reaches the halfway to rice) water and cook until rice sokas the water and halfway cooked.
- Let the stuffing rest to lukewarm for easy handling. Get one from the boiled kale leaves. Cut the thick vein part and place filling along the vein and roll.
- Place stuffed kale rolls into a wide pan. Continue to roll until the filling is finished. Slice 1 onion and scatter on top of the dish.
- Mix tomato paste with 1 cup water and pour over the rolls. Add more water to cover the kale rolls 1 cm less. Cook simmering after it is boiled until the rolls are soft for about half an hour to 45 minutes.