Turkish Cheese Dessert “Lor Tatlısı”
Do you love cheese in everything? How about in a dessert other than cheesecake? In Turkish cuisine, we have many desserts using a different type of cheeses like Kunefe, “peynir helvası” cheese halva, and this “lor tatlısı” lor cheese dessert.
Lor Cheese Dessert has similar to pate a choux dough that we use to make “tulumba” dessert or profiteroles and eclairs. But with the addition of lor cheese and semolina and soaking in the syrup, it becomes a heavenly light and delightful dessert
Ingredients For Making Lor Cheese:
- 1-liter whole milk
- 1/4 cup grape vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- fine strainer
How to Make Lor Cheese:
Note: If you can find fresh unsalted ricotta cheese or a similar kind you can try the recipe with it too.
- Heat 1 liter of whole milk in a pan and heat until it is boiled.
- Add vinegar and a dash of rock salt. Stir and wait for 2-3 minutes to curdle on low heat. Turn off the heat
- Transfer the curdled cheese into a fine strainer or cheesecloth over another big bowl. Let the cheese water drain completely. You can help with a ladle. Don’t throw the water, use for making bread, add into the soups.
Thank you for supporting me: https://www.patreon.com/turkishfoodtravel ►SUBSCRIBE ► ►► https://bit.ly/3iirrRC
►INSTAGRAM ► ►► http://instagram.com/turkishfoodtravel
Ingredients For “Lor Tatlısı”:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 heaped tbsp butter (30gr.)
- 1/2 cup semolina
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 eggs (add the second one gradually after whisking with a fork to break it)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Lor cheese we made from 1 liter of milk, drained well
- For the simple syrup: (This amount is enough for two-third of it. You can freeze the others or if you are going to serve them all make 1/2 amount more of the syrup)
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- ground pistachios or coconut flakes to serve (optional)
- In a medium-size pan heat the milk and butter until it boils.
- Add semolina and flour at once while stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon. Continue to cook on low medium heat stirring until it becomes a smooth dough and the sides of the pan are clean. Turn off the heat, let it cool down.
- Meanwhile, prepare the syrup: Add water and sugar to a small pan, turn on the heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. After it boils add lemon juice and cook one more minute. Turn of the heat.
- Add the cooled dough into a stand mixer or big mixing bowl. Add one egg and mix until it is mixed well. Add the second egg and repeat.
- Finally add the lor cheese, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla. Mixed until it is incorporated. It should be sticky, shiny, and soft enough to pipe while keeping its shape (Same as making pate a choux dough)
Shaping And Baking The Dessert
- You can pipe the dough with a big star nozzle or shape with two big teaspoons. I recommend using baking paper for the recipe.
- Bake the dessert in a 170C degree preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until it is a golden color on top and bottom.
- Transfer the baked cheese desserts into a medium-size deep dish pan and pour the syrup over while they are still warm. You might need to turn over the pieces after a while to help to soak the top parts. I served two-thirds of it and freeze the others before I pour the syrup.
- Serve after it soaked the syrup as is or sprinkle ground pistachios or coconut flakes on top.