Turkish Lentil Soup “Restaurant Style”
When you think of Turkish soup, the first one that comes to mind would probably be “Mercimek Çorbası” Lentil soup.
We have different varieties with different lentil types and veggies. But especially in restaurants, they serve this smooth and creamy golden yellow lentil soup. I am going to show you how you can make this comforting easy dish at home.
Ingredients For Turkish Lentil Soup
- 1 medium-size onion
- 5 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1+1/4 cup yellow lentils
- 1-liter hot or more water (You can use some of it chicken stock)
- salt to taste
- for the butter sauce
- 1 heaped tbsp butter
- 1/2 to 1 tsp paprika
How To Make Restaurant Style Lentil Soup
- In a medium-size pan heat oil. Add chopped onion and sauté for about 3-4 minutes or until it has golden color on some spots.
- Add chopped garlic and 2 tbsp flour. Continue to sauté for 2 minutes until nutty smell coming from the flour. If the mixture is too thick you can add 1/2 tbsp or more butter or drizzle some more oil.
- Add about 1-liter hot water while stirring continuously, you can use a wire whisker. Add washed and drained yellow lentils, chicken stock if using, and salt.
- Cook on low medium heat until lentils are soft for about 20 minutes.
- Blend the lentil soup with a hand blender or food processor until smooth. Add more water if needed for a nice thick soup consistency.
Before serving the soup make the butter sauce:
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Add tsp of sweet or hot paprika as you wish, or red pepper flakes fine too. Cook for 10-20 seconds until you have nice red butter sauce.
- Serve the hot soup, drizzle some of the sauce over it. Serve it with lemon wedges, dried mint, and dried oregano, and enjoy! Afiyet Olsun!