You are going to love this flaky, cheese-filled, rich pasrty-like Börek recipe. No rolling pin is used. I will show you a different technique to have a flaky texture.
- For the dough
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup milk (you can use water if you prefer)
- 1 tsp sugar and salt
- 1 tsp dry yeast or 10gr. fresh yeast
- a tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- about 4 cups flour (don’t add all at once)
- for the filling
- about 350gr. a mix of Turkish white cheese, aged white cheese
- about 50gr. grated kashar or mozzarella
- a handful of fresh parsley
- to roll out the dough: about 2/3 cup vegetable oil
How to Make Flaky Borek With Cheese:
Prepare the Dough:
- In a big mixing bowl add water, milk, sugar, yeast and a cup of flour. Wait for 5 minutes and add corn flour, 3 cups more flour and salt.
- Mix until it becomes a smooth unstick soft dough adding more flour if needed. Turn the dough into a ball and transfer back to its bowl. Cover and let it rise until it is doubled.
- Meanwhile prepare the cheese filling by mixing the cheeses and chopped parsley. You can experiment with different leftover cheeses too. But I would suggest to add lighter white cheese type more then melting ones.
Shaping The Borek:
- Take out the risen dough into preferably glass or a marble countertop. (not wood) Cut into 6 pieces and make a ball. Oil a tray and gently turn the balls into a disk by pressing and oil the top of the pieces. Cover and wait for 20 minutes.
- Get one piece of dough, place it on an oiled surface. Dip your hands into oil and stretchy the dough. The rested dough will easily stretch and get bigger.
- Continue to stretch the dough and make it thinner as much as you can. You can drizzle more oil if needed. Oil helps to stretch it more and will create the layers.
- After it is thin enough sprinkle about less than 1 tbsp cornflour with your hand or with a sifter and fold the sides to the center. Fold from top and bottom again to make a square. (Watch the video please for better understanding 🙂 Sift more cornflour on each step.
- Repeat the steps with other doughs and let them rest for another 20 minutes. Now you will be able to stretch the dough again with oily hands. This time make it into a long rectangle that can fit into your baking tray.
- Place generously from the cheese filling and roll the dough half way.
- Cut strips leaving the ends connected and finish rolling the dough. Transfer it into the baking tray. Finish shaping others. Cover and let it rise until somewhat doubled.
Baking the Borek
Brush with egg wash by mixing egg yolk, a tsp milk or oil, and a small pinch of cocoa powder if you like. Sprinkle sesame and nigella seeds, bake at preheated 200C degree oven for about 30 minutes until golden color.
Thank you for supporting me with a cup of coffee: https://www.patreon.com/turkishfoodtravel
►SUBSCRIBE ► ►► https://bit.ly/3iirrRC
►FOLLOW ME FROM INSTAGRAM ► ►► http://instagram.com/turkishfoodtravel
► Facebook: ► ►► https://fb.me/turkishfoodtravel