Acuka or Muhammara is one of the well-known mezes or appetizers in Turkish cuisine.
It has simple ingredients but with the mix of spices and deep tastes from pastes, it is packed with flavor. We traditionally eat at breakfast as a spread but it is also good as an appetizer.
Ingredients for Acuka / Muhammara
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 heaped tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp sweet red pepper paste (I used 1 tbsp of it, homemade sweet red pepper paste. Recipe will be in the next episode)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp each thyme, hot red pepper flakes, cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp all-spice (optional)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- a handful of coarsely chopped walnuts
You can get the ingredients from Gourmeturca.com: https://bit.ly/gourmeturca
Tomato Paste I used: https://bit.ly/gourmetomatopaste
Olive Oil: https://bit.ly/gourmeoliveoil
- In a medium-size pan add olive oil, tomato and pepper pastes, sesame seeds, spices, and roughly chopped garlic.
- Heat and cook stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes. Check the taste and add more spices if you prefer.
- The pastes can be salty so add salt if needed after tasting the spread.
- Add bread crumbs and walnuts, stir and cook for about 1-2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Serve after cooled down, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle some sesame seeds.