I am excited to share Turkish pita bread Gobit or Göbüt as we call. It’s a yeast dough and, the rich ingredients like milk and yogurt make the bread so delightful.
I have different flatbread recipes on my channel you can cook on the stovetop. We are going to cook this Turkish pita bread in the oven, and the best thing is you can fill the pocket with a doner or different sandwiches and freeze them for later use.
Ingredients For Turkish Pita Bread “Gobit”
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 tbsp dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- about 5+1/2 cups flour (don’t add the final half cup before kneading. Add gradually to make a soft somewhat sticky dough)
- 1 tsp salt
How To Make Turkish Flatbread Gobit
- In a big bowl add milk, sprinkle yeast and sugar over it and let it stand for 5 minutes until yeast is activated.
- Add yogurt, water, 5 cups flour and salt and begin to knead. Knead adding more flour if needed until you have smooth, soft, and somewhat sticky dough. Cover and let it rise until doubled for about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the dough into a floured surface. Make a log and cut into 12 pieces. Shape the pieces into rounds and cover it with a damp cloth.
Shaping & Baking
- Roll out each dough with a rolling pin sprinkling flour to prevent sticking to about 24cm in diameter and little more than 1/2 cm thick. Place onto a baking tray that is covered with baking paper. place 4 dough on each tray.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth. I used a freezer bag that I tore from the sides and covered with a cloth.
- Finish shaping all pieces. For the final 4 pieces, I flattened with my fingers into more thick pide-like bread to experiment and they came out soft and nice. Let them rise a bit for about 20 minutes.
- Cook the pides one sheet at a time in preheated 230C degree oven until they puff up and have a light golden color for about 7-8 minutes.
- Cover the baked gobit bread with damp clothes to soften.
Classic Sandwich with Gobit bread:
You can use this rich pita like Turkish flatbread with many fillings. I wanted to quickly make a cheese sandwich with what I have on hand: Added lettuce leave, sliced tomato and cucumber, kashar cheese (white cheese would go well too), and green pepper. Enjoy it with Turkish tea or Ayran drink!