Gozleme is a savory, Turkish stuffed flatbread. It’s a popular quick meal throughout Anatolia and street food, widely available in Istanbul and Turkey.
The thinly rolled dough is topped with ingredients, often with ground beef, spinach, cheese, potatoes, and parsley. After you fold it over and seal it, you cook on a sac Tawa, griddle, or pan. I am making delicious spinach gozleme filling with uncooked spinach, onion, and white cheese filling.
Traditionally in Turkey, we serve the Gozlemes one by one to the guests or family members, so they can eat while it is still hot and crispy. But since eating together is also important 🙂 we prefer to keep it warm stacking together and warming it up if needed on a hot griddle or pan if needed.
You can serve the gözleme with cold “Ayran” our national yogurt drink. It is just diluted plain yogurt, flavored with some salt to taste. Keep the leftover gozlemes in the fridge for couple of days and reheat when you want to eat. Another alternative would be freezing and heating again when needed.
Ingredient For Spinach Cheese Gozleme:
- For the dough: 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups or little more flour
- For the filling: 500gr. fresh spinach washed, drained well
- 2 medium-size onions 1
- 1 tsp for each hot red pepper flakes, black pepper (if you have sweet red pepper flakes you can add too), and salt
- about 200gr. Turkish white cheese or feta cheese or similar kinds
- extra butter and/or vegetable oil to cook (I used both)
►SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL ► ►► https://bit.ly/3iirrRC
►FOLLOW ME FROM INSTAGRAM ► ►► http://instagram.com/turkishfoodtravel
►MY WEBSITE ► ►►http://www.turkishfoodtravel.com
► Facebook: ► ►► https://fb.me/turkishfoodtravel
How To Make Spinach Gozleme (Flatbread)
First Prepare the dough:
- In a mixer bowl or big bowl, add lukewarm water, milk, salt, and less than 3 cups of flour and begin to mix.
- Continue to knead adding more flour if needed until you have a smooth unsticky playable dough for about 2-3 minutes
- Cut the dough into 10 pieces. Roll into balls, cover with a damp clean kitchen towel. I first covered it with a freezer bag and kitchen towel. Let it rest until you make the filling.
Spinach Filling (Uncooked Method)
- Cut the washed and drained well spinach small. If there is still water you can squeeze a bit to get out of it as much as you can. Transfer it into big bowl.
- Dice onion very small. Add salt and rub well until the juice of the onion comes out. Add it to the spinach leaves along with red pepper flakes, and black pepper
- Mix everything rubbing the spinach with salty onion mixture to reduce the leaves.
- Finally add Turkish white cheese or feta cheese if using (It’s optional) and mix.
Shaping & Cooking
- Get one piece of dough into the floured countertop. Roll out with a rolling pin, moving around after each rolling making sure it doesn’t stick to the countertop. The dough should about 1mm thick. Traditionally we use “oklava” for it but it’s ok to use a rolling pin too.
- Put spinach filling on half of the dough, fold the other half and seal well from the sides. Begin to cook the gözleme on a heated griddle or non-stick pan.
- After cooking one side for about a minute or until it is hard and some colors flip it over and brush with butter or drizzle vegetable oil or olive oil and flip after 1 minute. Brush the other side too and continue to cook both sides turning from time to time until it has golden color spots on top for about 4-5 minutes.
- Repeat the same steps with the remaining dough pieces and filling. Keep the cooked gözlemes, in another pan covering the top of it with a big lid or tray to keep it moist